Sunday 24 March 2013

Matt Shlian

Matt Shlian is a great artist and paper engineer, he works with paper by folding, cutting and gluing. He uses his engineering skills to create kinetic sculpture which have lead to him collaborations with scientists at the University of Michigan.  They work on the nanoscale, translating paper structures to micro origami and also investigate into visualizing cellular division and solar cell development. Matt Shlian explains how he works;
 'In my studio I am a collaborator, explorer and inventor.  I begin with a system of folding and at a particular moment the material takes over.  Guided by wonder, my work is made because I cannot visualize its final realization; in this way I come to understanding through curiosity.'

 
 
 
 
 
 
 Matt Shlian's geometric sculptures elegantly reflect his connection to the scientific communities. He  explores the physicality of paper with his curiosity-driven approach. Creating his work through problem solving and experimentation. Shlian restricts his palate to monochrome shades of white, this enhances the effects the light plays on the folds creating large areas of shade. He creates his stunning paper sculptures using both low-tech (scissors, knives, glue) and hi-tech tools (plotters, AutoCAD). His works can be seen as both abstract and organic, or precise and geometric. 
   Shlian's collaborations with scientists at the University of Michigan have lead him onto  investigate into visualizing cellular division and solar cell development. His intricate forms also take on the complexity of natural design, suggesting the cellular lattices at the root of biological mechanics.

---------------------------------------
 
 
I love his uses for folding to turn a flat piece of paper into a three dimensional form and will be investigating into this to use within my work. I want to see how different folds create different patterns within the paper and how this manipulation add a new depth to the work by introduction a new selection of shadows. I am also interested by his use of only white paper and feel this creates a clean and somewhat clinical feel. I would like to experiment with the use of this within my work as I would like my work to express a synthetic and artificial feel.



No comments:

Post a Comment