Wednesday 20 March 2013

Pleats


 


Pleats can transform a flat/ 2 dimensional fabric into something more... There are many different types of pleat all looking different and creating different textures. I am researching these different pleats so I can experiment with them on different materials. I want to find out the different types of pleats and which ones I could possibly use in my final outcome.

Knife Pleats: is a single pleat turned in one direction

Box pleat: a double pleat having two upper folds facing in opposite directions and two under folds pressed toward each other

Inverted Pleat: is a box pleat reversed so that the fullness of the material is turned inwards


Pinch pleat: is a triple pleat all in one direction with a pinch joining them all together in the middle

 
 
Honeycomb: Honeycomb pleats are plain strange and actually look like honeycombs. This type of fabric is usually used as a basis for smocking.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment